Tuesday 17 November 2015

A Lesson from Norway - Embracing Winter

cold weather

The days are short, the nights are long, and the cold is oppressive.  Welcome to Winter.

I'm writing this post with my feet curled up under me, a scarf around my neck, and dreams of turning the heat on... even though the thermostat still claims it's 70 degrees in my apartment.  I'm cold-blooded, and I know I'm not alone.  Add the fact that it's getting dark before 5pm, and everything is that much harder to handle.

But I recently came across an article called "The Norwegian Secret to Enjoying a Long Winter."  I'm not sure it offers much solace for me, but I found it interesting to hear that the Norwegian culture has adapted to survive the dark months without widespread depression.

How do they do it?

weather & climateThe article references Stanford University PhD student Kari Leibowitz, who spent a year in Tromso - on an island in far northern Norway, just above the Arctic Circle.  From late November to early January, the sun never rises.  It's a part of the world I always thought would be fascinating to experience... but also very sad.

In fact, SAD, or Seasonal Affective Disorder, is a type of depression that people commonly experience in the winter.  But Leibowitz didn't find it to be very prevalent in Norway.  She says people there learned to be happy despite the winter.  How?  Three key points.  1) Enjoy the beauty of the season.  2) Keep cozy.  3) Participate in winter activities (like skiing and ice skating).

Staying cozy is probably the easiest thing to do no matter where you're suffering through the cold.  You don't need mountains or snow or a great view.  You just need somewhere warm to curl up.  Light some candles, grab a blanket and a good book, and heat up some hot cocoa.

But there are other things Norwegians have grown up thinking and doing to help them cope.  Vitamin D is a nutrient our bodies absorb from the sunlight, but there are other sources, including fish.  With a long coastline, it's no surprise Norwegians eat a lot of fish.  But beyond that, Cod Liver Oil is apparently a common supplement for kids.  In fact, the website My Little Norway says it's something child health centers teach new mothers.  Now... I'm not saying I'm about to go out and buy a bottle of Cod Liver Oil to sip on until March.  I'm sure a spoonful would be hard to swallow.  But in Norway, it's a part of the culture and how they've learned to deal with their climate.

walkingpath-lights.jpg
Of course, the article also says exercise and fresh air are good for you, as long as you dress in enough layers.  School kids still go outside for recess when there's snow on the ground and the skies are dark!

But my favorite piece of advice?  To still see the light.

There's light in the city and in our homes. It may be artificial, but there's a beauty to it nonetheless.  Even in the summer, I would say a city skyline lit up at night is more magical than the grey and brown buildings you see in the daylight.  And when it comes to snow, the white reflects the light and brightens things up even more.

Perhaps most importantly, kids in Norway aren't afraid of the dark.  It's a part of their daily life.  And it can be a beautiful one.

Want to know more?  Leave your comments here, find me on Facebook and Twitter, or email me at rkaye@wmbd.com.


Culture and Climate Home

No comments:

Post a Comment